Thursday, April 27, 2006

Today's brush with the famous

So, it's not the best picture... it was taken with a camera phone, and we didn't realize until it was emailed back to me that it is blurrrry...
but, here it is...
me with John Corbett...



hmmm... he looks familiar, you say, but the name doesn't ring any bells.
Aidan from "Sex & The City"
the DJ from "Northern Exposure"
the guy from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
the hunky preacher from "Raising Helen"

and, now he is a country recording artist, who has his own band, the John Corbett Band. Who decided to drop by the radio studios for some impromptu interviews. Who was passing through Memphis, and booked a gig that is going on right now.

And, oddly enough, he was super-nice and down-to-earth. Really friendly, smiling, and outgoing. And the stuff he said off-air was even cooler. He's a really big Elvis fan, and a collector of Elvis memorabilia. And, when he left, he gave me the handshake-cheek kiss (on my right cheek). So, I walked around on a cloud a little bit today after that. :)

Even weirder, I got a little crush on his guitarist-producer, Tara Novick (who is a dude, despite the name). While John was talking to the radio hosts I work with, I was chatting with Tara about LA and the scene he used to be a part of. He was cute, and had that Frank Zappa-like dark intensity. And what girl hasn't had a bit of a rocker fantasy, at one point or another?!?

So, that was the surprising coolness of my workday. Rock on!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Camera Phones are evile evile devices.

Rock on to you for having a chance to meet a cool person as such. But there is something I have always wondered...

Why is it that people will almost always state that a famous person is "Down to earth"? I mean, one would assume that a person has some semblance of reality (unless they cannot tell if tuna is fish or chicken, but dont get me started there!), so why do we so often hear the phrase "Down to earth" when working with celebrities? Are we afraid to say they are common-seeming, as that may imply that we are common, and they can relate on that level?

aiee~ Existentialism already on my Friday. Someone give me a Chai Latte stat! That should bring me back "down to earth" for this Northwest of Normal.

BTW. What do you think of me getting Community Supported Agriculture? Veggies grown by the hippies out here, and something that would save my poor girlfriend from going shopping with me when we attempt to decide dinner. :P

Much love, from your Brother Marc, to my Sistar Jess.

Friday, April 28, 2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Frank Murphy said...

Try viewing the photo while shaking your laptop like an Etch-A-Sketch. It works pretty well. 3D glasses might also help.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 11:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, this is a PERFECT excuse to go get a great digital camera for your work. Even fuzzy, John is a dream boat. Wow, you are one lucky brat.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home