Monday, April 24, 2006

hormonal imbalances?

So, I recently went off the pill (in February), after being on it, nearly non-stop, since I was 17 1/2 years old. I started my first prescription the first day of college (and hurked up my breakfast on the first day of college, as well). I've only been off it for about 3-6 months when I lived in Eugene, and I had no insurance, and mom couldn't get me freebies. Otherwise, I've been on it for nearly 14 years, my entire adult life.
When I went on it, at 17, it was for a combination of reasons - I had crazy-awful periods when I was a teenager. Every 3rd or 4th month, I'd have the periods that made me lie on the floor and cry, and crawl to the bathroom to vomit. I was on 800 mg of ibuprofren (prescription horse pills) for days. I had severe PMS (which I didn't recognize in myself, but my mom and aunt did) and became a raging biznotch a week before I started. But I was also really short and skinny, and my mom feared putting me on hormones until I was grown enough. My senior year of high school, I believe, I reached my current height of five feet, zero inches (my last doctor's visit they said I was 5 feet, 1/2 inches, but I don't really claim that). Reaching that height was a milestone, as doctors had told my mom and I when I was in 5th or 6th grade that I would be lucky to reach five feet (they x-rayed my hands and skull, and tried to get mom to put me on steroids and HGH shots).
So, the summer between high school and college, mom got me an appointment with an OB-GYN she worked with, and accompanied me to the exam. I was 17, not sexually active, and terrified of college (and the exam). They put me on my first scrip, which was changed after 3 months, because I kept on getting my period (like, 3 times in the first month, which sucked for the first month of college). In 14 years, I've been on maybe 3 different formulations (and their generics). For years, I was on a 1/35 formulation, then moved to a triphasic (7-7-7) to mitigate some of the stronger hormonal reactions, then to another triphasic (tri-cyclen). I liked the effects of the multi-/tri-phasics, but was scared to go on anything less because of the breakthrough bleeding (and the tendencies of women on my mom's side of the family to get pregnant while on various forms of birth control).
I've spent years having my hormones controlled and suppressed, and a combination of factors caused me to go off the pill a few months ago. My 3 month prescription ran out, and due to a clerical screw-up at my office, I didn't have an insurance card. I was out of a relationship, and had no "need" for the pill. And, my mom has been going off about the effects the pill on women and their choice of partners. Since I just got out of a relationship that I maybe didn't make the best choices in, I thought, if I can get all my pheromones working so I make better man choices, that can't be a bad thing. And not having the old back-up of being on the pill can keep things from moving so quickly, too, if/when I'm dating...
So, my last scrip ran out in February. And, I was so caught up in other stuff, I forgot to note it... So I've been surprised by some of the reactions my sad little body has had in rebound. I have NO idea when my periods will start... and they've been far from regular, and throw me for a loop. I've been so used to ending the live pills Saturday, starting on Tuesday and going until Saturday, then starting the new pack on Sunday that I'm surprised when I start. I'm surprised by the cramps again. I've broken out in ways I haven't, ever. I've got cystic acne on my face and decolletage and back, and feel like an awkward 16-year-old (which is not the way I want to feel when I'm trying to date again, at the age of 31). I'm crankier, more emotional about odd things.
I've also been cleaning the house like mad. I think it's part of that whole nesting thing that happens with the hormone surges in pregnancy. I'm NOT pregnant, don't freak out. I just mean that maybe my hormones rebalancing is part of what is contributing to this annoying cleaning kick. I've never been much of a cleaner, and now I want order everywhere.

Things don't happen in a vacuum, and I know some of these odd reactions are related to other things in my life - fallings out with friends, career challenges, attempts at dating and making friends again after so long of not doing either - but it's still weird.
I know myself well enough to know that some of these things are so inter-related that it's hard to make heads or tails of it all, but I know that I am, again and again, trying to make sense of my universe, and to make my world mine again. It's amazing how long a break-up can really take. It's not here one day, and gone tomorrow - it's finding clothing in your wardrobe and needing to get away from it. It's memories and thoughts and stories and "where do I fit without this person / these people in my life?" and all the struggles with that.
It's like I was telling someone, it's not that I want to get back together with B, or any of that, but at least with him I knew I had plans. My weekends and days made sense - I talked to him every night before bed, maybe grabbed food and watched TV on weeknights, and then did something on Friday and/or Saturday, with maybe even a Sunday brunch or dinner with the extended friend group. Now, I struggle around to find my place in the universe again, and I don't think I'm doing too good a job of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love and support you jess jess, and i dont think you're lost in space; you're just going to be wandering for awhile until you get it all sorted out.. or you could do what all the cool kids do and change your scene to the NW *wink nudge*

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home