Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Alternative

Have I mentioned lately how much I love the cable channel VH1 Classic?
No?
Okay, then, I LURVE VH1 Classic. Especially the program, "The Alternative".
Just tonight, I've seen / heard:
The Cure, Close to Me
They Might Be Giants, Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
some Big Audio Dynamite song I didn't know
Romeo Void, A Girl in Trouble
Morrissey, Sing Your Life
The Jesus and Mary Chain, some song I didn't know (April Sun)

It's like Junior High / High School / College in one show.

I had also forgotten how truly weird Robert Smith and the Cure were, especially their videos. In this one, the entire band was stuck in an armoire that crashes off a cliff into the sea. Their makeup remained unsmuged, though, as they were slowly drowning and playing the music.

Earlier today, before my post-work nap, I saw The Divinyls, "Pleasure & Pain". You may not remember this song... it was their hit before the super-huge dirty song that everyone remembers, "I touch myself". That lead singer, Christina, was not all that attractive facially, but she had big ones and short skirts and stockings with garter belt suspenders.

Nicole, if you are reading this, watching the Alternative is like hanging out with Chris G and Marty and sleeping over your house and driving in my first car. Just watching this show takes me back to the ages 14-24. Seriously.

Time for bed. Must turn off addictive music television and sleep. But I can't, they are playing New Order's "True Faith" (the "morning sun" song), the video with the weird people in puffy suits running backwards and jumping and stuff.

Music is far more emotionally laden than most people realize. I've always identified very strongly with music, and tied songs to certain moments in my personal history. it's funny how we don't always realize we're doing that. But then you hear a song, and you are 19 and at a fraternity party with your friends drinking Jungle Juice out of garbage cans. Or, you hear a song, and you are 13-14, with the most hopeless crush on one of your friends. You know how it is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

Yes...
I used to "tape" videos on the vcr and watch them over and over...ok this was in like 1982 and I was completely obsessed with Total Quelo's I Eat Cannibal
I remember when MTV actually showed music videos...I used to come home from school everyday and watch them.
good times...good times...

Friday, April 07, 2006 2:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home