Thursday, April 13, 2006

"I'm a winner. Things are gonna change, I can feel it"

Did you win anything in the big $220 million Powerball drawing last (Wednesday) night?
I did. I do the $5 quick pick, no powerplay. And I had, on one of my 5 lines, the powerball, number 24. So , I won $3. First time in a long while! I suppose if I had dropped an additional dollar per ticket on the powerplay, I could have had 4 times the money. But $3 is cool. And next time the jackpot gets above $100 million, i'll start playing again.

So, I'm surprised I forgot to post this yesterday. I've found out that an ex-boyfriend is getting married. Next week. And I never would have known had I not dropped a quick note to his childhood best friend.

Now, before you get all weird, his childhood best friend edits a blog, called "Deadspin", about sports. When Tim and I were dating, Will was dating a girl named Jess as well. And he moved out to LA to work on a newspaper. So, I knew Will socially. He's a good guy, and I've kept in touch with him, peripherally, over the years. He's worked on a few different print and internet media, and as I come across his name on mastheads, I drop him a line to say hey.

The other day, I was reading Deadspin, and noticed all the references to the editor's love of the St. Louis Cardinals. The only major league baseball games I have ever been to were Dodgers v. Cardinals, both with Tim. Memphis' minor league team, the Memphis Redbirds, is farm club for the St. Louis Cardinals. And the new St. Louis Cardinals park, Busch Stadium, looks like Memphis Redbirds' stadium, AutoZone Park.

So, I dropped Will a note to that effect, and got an email back saying hey, and that he was heading to LA for Tim's wedding. Being the intrepid reporter that I am, I went to Wedding Channel and looked up his wedding details. All I can say from the registry is, she's got expensive tastes. That, and she must not be Catholic (the religion he was raised in), as the wedding and reception are being held at the same place, and neither is in a church.

The weird thing is my reaction to this. This isn't really the first ex who is getting married. Russ got married years ago, and I think I might have heard they may have kids now. And when he was planning on getting married, I was genuinely happy for him, for he seemed happy. But I don't really know about my exes; if they have been married, I just don't know about it. I'm not a person who really keeps in touch with my exes - that's just a reality of who I am and how I've lived. I think it's difficult to stay social and friendly with someone who you've shared so much, and who is associated with happiness and loss. A few exes I keep up with (my brother is still social with at least two of mine), but not directly.

And, Tim, well, we broke up and then I moved to Eugene. He had fallen out of love with me, but stayed with me because he didn't know how to say it. So, when I moved to Eugene, I really had no interest in staying in touch. And I found out from mutual friends that he was telling people the best way to deal with a break-up was to have her move away, so you didn't have to deal with it. So, I was a little bitter. When I moved back to LA, I phoned him up to catch up. And I emailed with him once or twice when I was living in LA. But we haven't really been in touch, and I was just fine with that.

I've thought about him recently, as I've been reviewing my life and loves and all that. And we weren't a great match, but he was the right guy in my life at that time. The year I graduated I wasn't really ready for the real world, and having a boyfriend who was still in college helped. He was a film student, in a fraternity, and, when it started, really liked me. The year I graduated I was living with my Aunt Vickie. Tim and I saw a lot of movies. He bought me flowers. And I got to play dress up and go to dances.

I always thought that when I found out an ex was marrying, I would be upset, but that hasn't bene the case. When Russ got married, I was happy for him; as much as I liked his parents and they liked me, Russ and I would have driven each other nuts. I know that now. And my reaction to Tim's impending wedding is more along the lines of, "hey, isn't that interesting? I used to know and love that guy. I hope he's happy and making a good decision for himself."

It also makes me feel old, like life is moving on and leaving me behind in the dust. All these people I once loved are moving to the next stage in their lives, a stage I would like to reach. And Tim is in LA, so he's getting married at the right marrying age (30) for that area.

So, yeah, I don't know... I think I'm happy for him, but i'm mostly disappointed in myself for not finding that happiness for myself yet. And, I know, all in due time. But still...

6 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

jkThere are things Tim said when we broke up that hurt me pretty bad... and things he said after we broke up that hurt worse.
But 9 years distance (geez, 9 years) did something to me, I think.
I'm actually suprised that it has taken Tim this long... when I moved back to LA and phoned him up, he seemed like he was pretty serious about whatever girl he was seeing then.
What's weird is that everyone's updates (on the Marks Tower blog, my email from Will) all seem to include people's relationships. Will even included a weblink to his fiance's webpage. (weird?) And all I can ever say is I'm single, not married, no kids. It sometimes feels like I'm not living up to expectations, you know?
Now, as for B, I want him to pine and be miserable and never find happiness because of what we went through. Not that I want him back... but he shouldn't be happy since he f-ed up with me. ;)

Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sistar~

First off, Love the usage of the subject line. Now if only I can get the Soy un perdedor out of my head!

That being said, I have recently had a chance to see a few of mine exes start spawning. Yes... There are some that spawn, and others that reproduce.

The one that got ahold of me (via AIM, of course) just to tell me that she spawned, and had pics of her with her baby online, that one was a real gem. Granted, this was the same girl that said she wanted long term (marriage and kids) with me, and I later find out that she is sleeping with 3 other people, well.... I think you get the idea.

I also have an unfortunate string of girls who all have "A" names, so it would only serve to confuse when referring to them as letters. Then again, I could refer to them by different people of the "A-Team" *snicker*

Another one of the A-girls recently got knocked up, I found out. This is one that I am still pretty good friends with, but I must say she was another interesting one. She wound up marrying the guy that lead her on for well over a year, and of course, me being who I am, got to hear all about it.

She also swore up and down she was never to have kids, so I truly wonder what changed at what point.

I have a few exes that are friends, others that are passing acquaintaces, and others that I would not stop to help if they were getting the stuffin beat out of them in the street. I should also mention that an old friend of mine (technically an ex) came up here to visit with me, and spend time. Another story to be had later. As I was.

To me, it seems that what is important is you, and what you feel about things. B calling you names does not really bode all that well for keeping a civil relationship. Tis rough that your friends there are in the midst of it, and those who feel they have to "choose or stay out" will show true colors. Sad and upsetting, yet true.

For as much crap as I give you about those who can stomach us, and our family, we are good people, and those who can see us for who we are, are the truly lucky ones. So for those who could not do so >:P NYAH! to them.

~nyow

Friday, April 14, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing I could add to this roundtable that hasn't already been said, but the fact that you would quote Beck in your subject line only proves to me that you're a SoCal girl through and through. They can't suck the life out of you too much now, can they?

Friday, April 14, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc- its a documentable fact that all girls named Amanda are crazy. No matter how nice they are.
I suppose I get to be the left out lovelorn huntley though, since my worst relationship divorced his wife finally, joined the AF and then I moved to memphis and got over those stupid persons in NH that are idiots.
I'm sitting here at work reading this, and trying to explain to Mr. Steve my reactions to certain things, which helps me understand myself. For years I thought that Tims "how to get rid of an ex" thing was the most horrible thing a person could say knowing that it would get back to you somehow. I realize now that its just how some guys behave.. like jerks :P.
Mayhaps after the fact he looked back and said, "wow, I was a real dick about that"
especially considering how much people keep in contact with you, 'cuz theres something special about my sister jessjess.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Hey I got linked in the diary! I am so honored!! :P
Wow...Tim getting married...I wonder what his fiance is like, out of curiousity? Can you believe 9 years too! I know it shouldn't suprise me since I just celebrated my 8 year wedding anniversary...but that time just seems like yesterday and it was nearly a decade ago! good times...good times :)

Sunday, April 16, 2006 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

you know, I just love reading my kids blogs. learn all kinds of things......
having said that, I connected with an ex from 1968 via the internet. turns out he went to school with another friend of mine. I had been in touch with him for years (he sent us an awesome wedding gift) but then he moved and we moved and so on....... and yes, your dad know and is amused.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 9:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home