Monday, October 24, 2005

things that remind you of something else

Today, while I was working at my computer at home (for work-related stuff), I turned on the TV to have something on in the background... and stopped on WE, the women's network. It's in my "favorites" because I've become addicted to a programme called "McLeod's Daughters", which is an Australian weekly nighttime soap. It's wonderful.
Anyway, I stopped on WE, and stayed for "A Bunny's Tale", which is, well... Here's the description from WE's website:


A BUNNY'S TALE
1985
Journalist Kirstie Alley dons bunny ears for an undercover expose on waitressing at the once-popular Playboy Clubs. As she gets the scoop for her article and learns what it takes to be a bunny, including the right way to pour drinks (the bosom-revealing "Bunny Dip"), Alley concludes that life as a sex object is an utterly demeaning experience. Based on the real-life experiences of feminist Gloria Steinem, this 1985 drama implies that Steinem's activism in the 1960s and 1970s was, in large part, shaped by her stint as a bunny.


It's a wonderful 1980's TV movie, starring all those 1980's TV stars you remember, even if you can't place their name. Delta Burke, Joanna Kerns, pre-fame Lela Rochon, and the long-dark-haired girl from "Too Close to Comfort" (her name is Deborah Van Valkenburgh). Pretty good story, and pretty realistic to the time period - keeping in mind it's starring Kirstie Alley as GLORIA STEINEM.

Anyway, as I was watching it (and I did stay for the whole 2 hours), it reminded me of the summer trip B and I took. We went to NEPA to attend a friend's wedding, visit his family, and vacation a bit too. Being me, I packed the agenda with all sorts of touristy things (it's simply in my nature to over-plan and over-organize). While we were there, we stayed at his father's house, with his father (B Sr) shares with his girlfriend (L) and her sons. One day, while chatting about this and that, L revealed that she had spent a summer working at a Playboy Club, as a Bunny. She talked of the clothes, the hairstyle and weight requirements, the shoes, et cetera. She was apparently quite a babe and a looker in her day, and enjoyed the summer job, though her parents were a little more wary. If I remember correctly, she was saving up, and that job helped her to do that. When she was done telling us the story, she asked B and I to please not mention this to her sons, as they didn't know about this part of her past.
It was such a bizarre moment, B's not-quite-stepmother revealing this odd little bit of her past to us. And, she's probably the only person I've met that worked at one of those clubs, which was a total and unique part of the bizarre past of America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home