Monday, October 24, 2005

call and response

so, I neglected to mention this in the previous post, as it wasn't really related to the topic...
B called me today. Actually, the phone ringing woke me from my nap (at 4 pm), in the middle of an (as usual) weird dream. I checked the Caller ID, saw that it said "B home" and let it roll to voicemail.
When I checked it, it was a very vague message, identifying himself, asking me to call him on his cel, and giving me the phone number - as if 3 years of having it memorized have been erased in one month.
I haven't called him back. I don't think I want to. I'm just starting to enjoy my own company again, and to not associate everything (going to the grocery, target, watching TV) with him. I've started to be able to say (and think) "ex-boyfriend" and to not think "we this" and "we that" and "b likes this". I'm starting to think of being with him as being in the past.
It's only been a month, as of today, since the last time I saw and talked to him. He's emailed me once in the interim, to tell me a story of computer monitors, but I didn't email him back.
I know from friends he is okay. I'm sure he knows from friends that I am okay.
And I have had to fight the urge to drive by and check his house and make sure he is okay. Last week, a co-worker who lives nearby asked me for a ride to work, and I had to pass B's home on the way to pick him up. I found myself craning my head toward his driveway as I drove past, but his elderly neighbor's car blocked my view.
I think that if he was calling about our friends, if something had happened, someone else would have phoned. I think he left a vague message to entice me to call.
But I can't do it. I can't give in. It's not a matter of loving him, or not loving him. I did and do love him. But I'm having to love myself and my progress, and not call him. And I'm not sacrificing my happiness by sticking to my principles. I'm trying to keep my happiness, and not slide back to the old situation.
This is SO difficult. I don't want to seem like a bitch who is uninterested in him. But I need to do what is best for me, and I think that is continuing to stay out of touch.
Please tell me I'm doing the right thing, and that I'm not being callous or cruel to someone who once (and possibly still does) loved me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

You are doing great! Stick to your guns on this and you won't be sorry... I know it is hard sometimes but you rationally explained away any valid reason why you would have to call him back (something bad happening to a friend, etc.) It sounds like he was just missing your voice and got the nerve up to call, don't give in now after you have progressed so far.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home