Monday, July 10, 2006

marriage in the modern era

i've been meaning to write about this since i got back from New Hampshire, but I just haven't been able to wrap my head quite around it.... I've told the story to some people, and it makes me sound a) bitter and b) mildly racist, and neither are quite true.

My cousin got married. The first one of my generation (on either side of the family) to do so. This cousin is 25, the 4th member of my generation on my mom's side. She's my mom's sister's daughter, and I, in some ways, helped raise her. I lived with their family when I was a teenager.

Do you know how we found out she got married? If it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't believe it. It's a real example of the modern age. My brother, Marc, says, "Becca got married to some random black guy. She posted the pictures on her MySpace."

Seriously. She got married without any friends around, in crayon-red hair and red dress, and the "random black guy" (the best descriptor we have, as no one had even HEARD of the guy before this) was wearing a jersey of some sort. (My aunt V said to me later, "couldn't he have gone to Mervyn's and bought a shirt or something?") According to her MySpace, the new husband is named Paris, and he's an acrobat. She's an acrobat, so they can be bendy together.

It's just so weird. I figured that when someone in the family got married, we'd be invited. There was never a question in my mind as to that. For my future theoretical wedding (to my future theoretical husband, of course), I would have to at least INVITE my family, all the masses of them.

And who does that? Who announces they've run off and gotten married by posting pictures on a social networking website? My mom finds out her neice is married from the Internet - her sister, this cousin's mom, never even mentioned it to my mom.

My aunt V, the one who is just a few years older than me, IM'ed me about two weeks ago. She told me about my grandparents' reaction to it. Again, shocked. I know that it's surprising that family would want to know in advance, but it's true.

Heck, I don't know. My sisters (in their early 20's) are both engaged, and living with their partners. My brother Marc's girlfriend just moved in with him. I could have seen any of them getting married in the near future. But not finding out from the InterWebs that my cousin has married.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can do you one better. My sister got married in Egypt and called my Mom and Dad to tell them about it after the fact. You guessed it no one had met him before. Saddly that marrage did not last very long. But hey I got married in a kilt, on halloween, in a japanese tea garden in oakland, with an asian Elvis bandleader so who am I to talk.

Don't worry rosebud one day your . . .(I am not sure what the male equilelant of that flower is . . well come to think of it you do go to New Hampshire a lot and that is close to Vermont so i guess. . . let me just say before this gets weird that I like softball and I think Xena was an underrated show.) Did I mention that double presbyterians and email do not mix.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am floored. I never would have imagined they wouldn't even tell you. Maybe we really pissed them off when we would goof off in the warehouse instead of working. :)

- N

Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home