Sunday, June 11, 2006

Family Ties

I'm going to NH in 4 days. The baby (she's 17, I know, she's not a baby anymore) is graduating HS, and 4 of her 5 older siblings are heading on out to the East Coast / New England to be there for the momentous occasion.
I'm a little nervous. I've seen Mom and Dad and Bebe fairly recently (Christmas), but I haven't seen the other siblings since 2004, a year in which I saw them all (except for the one who doesn't come to things) twice. In February of 2004, my parents celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary (go ahead, do the math - yup, I'm a honeymoon baby, 9 1/2 months after they married I was born) and they threw a celebration for themselves, and we all flew out. Then, in June 2004, my dad's sister-in-law, my aunt, died after complications from a brain hemorrhage. And those of us that could went to Portland for the funeral - Dad and I met up in an airport (Detroit or Minneapolis, can't remember which NWA hub) and flew out, Leen and her Steve drove out from Idaho, and Marc and D drove up from Eugene. Mom and Bebe couln't make it... but who knew then they'd need to fly again later that summer when my mom's cousin's daughter (our second cousin) died after a car wreck?
So, this will be the first time I've seen my sister Neen or Polo since June 2004 - when Marc and I threatened her Steve with bodily harm if he broke our sister's heart or knocked her up. He laughed at me, all 5-feet and red hair and righteous indignant anger, but you do what you have to for your siblings. This is also the first time I will see Brother Marc since that trip - last summer, some of my family went to Northern California for an old family friend's wedding, but I was visiting B's family in Scranton, PA that week, instead.
Leenie will be bringing her Steve to NH; Marc will be bringing his Louise; and D will not be bringing her Robyn (no great loss). D is engaged to Robyn, but she dated him back when she was in HS (when we all lived in Eugene) and I didn't much like him then. And Polo still doesn't like him now, and avoids him (which means avoiding his sister, even though they live in the same town). I, as usual, will be flying solo, the spinster older sister.
I'm really proud of my youngest sister, otherwise known as 6 of 6 (in our family's Borg numbering system). She's the last of my parents' kids to fly the nest, and will be leaving them for college come August. And then mom and dad will join the ranks of those 50-ish adults who are, for the first time in their married lives, alone with just each other. I'm told, by mom and dad and other sibs, that they are divesting much of what they have in their house, in an attempt to simplify and downsize now that it will just be the two of them.
Oy, it's going to weird and wonderful and great and scary to all be together again. We hope to take pictures (either with or without mom and dad), and, if we do, I will post them. :)
I will, of course, update post-travels.

3 Comments:

Blogger alicia said...

you need to fix the link to sheldon
Oh, and if you go to the picture album page at Concord HS, and click on the Pops concert, you will see your sister's back as she plays the cello.

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not anonymous the Cat. He does not live here anymore. Being taken care of by a co-worker (Nathan) who is just as pleased as punch with him. When we cat-sat him for a few weeks recently, I was pleased to see that he has developed quite a bit more spunk. That pair of cat and human are good for each other.

Jess,

It was DTW. I remember it as it was the usual for NWA when I fly. My connections are ALWAYS at opposite ends of the terminal!

Looking forward to seeing all of you, even if you don't agree with each other's choices.

John, AKA Dad

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time for my link madness. ;)

It should be noted for people that dont know, there are various nicknames for the siblings. I seem to have wound up as Polo, for reasons far beyond me.
There will be more chances for Photo Ops, and more family photos to be had.
Just to clarify, I don't avoid D, it is simply a matter of wanting to hang out with ONLY my sister, and having dead weight hanging about makes it difficult.
As for the threatening of Steve, I seem to recall the slight smirk at the 5-foot tall sister making such comments, till he glanced behind and saw the 6-foot tall brother in a full-length leather trenchcoat (I love that thing), and the smirk went baibai.
As for the post from the Papa, every time I see NWA, mine mind flashes to a few possibilites, and then the eventual reference to .
Anycase. I'll be getting all my packing done tonight, including the randomness items from your storage locker (and stealing your Queen-sized bed frame soon), and will see you in a few days.

Vaya con pollo!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home