Friday, May 19, 2006

How would YOU describe me?

Recently, I asked someone whose opinion matters to me to pick one word to describe me. They couldn't find one word, but rather picked three. Two of them I readily own, and one really bothered me. In order of how they were presented to me, here are the words:
Passionate
Insecure
Spunky

I own passionate - I know I get riled up about things and people and ideas and music. I know I sometimes let my energy get ahead of me.

I fully accept spunky. It's been a part of me for a long time, though it's one of those things that I think is so tied into my physicality that it is hard to separate. Am I spunky because I'm short and cute? You don't usually see tall or bigger women described as spunky - it's mainly attributed to those who are shorter in stature and also energetic.

But the insecure thing... that really bothered me. This person actually meant mostly in terms of my career. I've talked to this person a lot about work and what bothers me, and they know I'm not getting the validation I as a person need in my daily work dealings.

Insecurity / neediness / acceptance is an issue I've been working on within myself for years. It's an old demon that I thought I had, for the most part, conquered. I no longer care what total strangers think of me, and I've had the strength to cut off unhealthy friendships ('cause I don't need to be validated by people who don't actually like or respect me). But, the insecurity apparently shines right through, and even this person, who is new in my life, sees it as an integral part of me.

So, my group of personal advisors, what three (or five) words would you use to describe me? I'm trying to get a real picture of who / what I am presenting to the outside world. Only when you are aware of things can you work to change them.

Post back here or email me privately with your thoughts. If you choose, I'll put my thinking cap on and do the same for you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Defiant.. of social norms, just like the rest of us.
Hopefull/Optimistic.. you always look toward the future.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home