Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Tipping etiquette - curbside takeaway debate

So, yesterday, I decide to treat myself to a little curbside takeaway at the local Outback Steakhouse. I've discovered that you can get a child-sized portion of steak in the restaurant, but they tack an additional $2 on for an adult fee (or something stupid like that). If you order it over the phone, they don't. So, for just under $10, I had a child-size (probably 6 or 8 oz) steak, potatoes, a teeny-tiny drink, and a salad. I paid cash, and they brought my change (from a $20) out in a $5 and five $1s. I gave the curbside girl a dollar. And now I'm wondering if I cheaped out.
My debate is this - all they did was write it down, and then walk back and forth to my car. A dollar seems to be generous when it was a single person, not picky (not like when I order burgers from them), and under $10.
The other side of this is that I get into constant debates with people about Starbucks and whether one should tip there. As a former partner, I firmly believe in tipping at Starbucks. But that is because Starbucks beverages are a custom-made beverage, and, if you are a regular, the baristas get to know you and your drink(s), so it warrants tipping. I also usually just drop the spare change from orders, and about once a week (from my morning work run) drop an extra dollar in. Starbucks tipping averages go down when everyone uses their debit card or pre-loaded gift card, so that's another thing to keep in mind.
But do the curbside people warrant generous tipping? I just don't know.
(and, keep in mind, I'm generous with waitstaff in actual restaurants.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did fine with your dollar. They don't have to deal with dirty dishes, pacing of the meal, making sure that the psychotic restaurant critic gets his martini made EXACTLY to specifications, etc. I have to say that I might not have tipped at all, but that is because I have been waging a war against the attitude of entitlement I keep encountering in the waitronic profession. I get really sick of places that are nothing more than retail outlets putting out tip jars (bakeries are the prime offenders).

If I ever have the urge to tip anyone who is really getting ripped off in the equation, it is the pantry cook, the line cook, etc.

As for Starbucks, it was one thing when they actually had to know how to pull an espresso, but with the pushbutton, fully automatic system, tipping only prolongs the misery. It's time for Starbucks to go completely automatic and eliminate counter staff altogether. They could replace all of their cafes with vending machines.

Friday, June 02, 2006 1:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The true issue here is that you used Curbside Takeaway to order a Kid's menu item. That is what makes you cheap; not the tip. I hope that you are still not taking advantage of something that is intended for those under the age of 10; physically, not maturity wise.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home