Sunday, March 26, 2006

My visit to Phoenix

Two weeks ago, I finally had the time to get out to AZ and see Jen, Berin and Baby Ryan.

My goal was to get some time away from my life here, and to meet the baby before he started walking and talking (he was 8 months old when I met him). A couple of vacation days taken by the hosts of the show I produce afforded me a long weekend away.

It was a short trip (I arrived late at night on Thursday, and flew back very early on Sunday), but was well worth it.

The first full day I was there, Friday, we went to lunch and shopping. Lunch was at a Pan-Asian place called "Do". Ryan was well-behaved, and the waitresses at the place absolutely loved him.

After lunch, we strolled around the place, Kierland Commons, and happened upon a 'sniffy smell-good' store that was having it's grand opening that day. The shop was called Fruits & Passion. It is a Canadian shop that is opening the very first US store. I bought a very yummy smelling espresso candle, and some cacao (cocoa) hand butter.


On Friday, Jen also took me to Trader Joe's, a shop we don't have here.
On Saturday, they were gracious enough to make sure I got to eat the foods I miss (including Hot Dog on a Stick and In-N-Out Burger) and to shop for things I can't find here (a flavor of instant oatmeal, a certain brand of refried beans).

In one day, Jen took me to two different malls, so I could have my beloved Hot Dot on a Stick lemonade (and an actual "hot dog on a stick"). I even had Jen take a picture of me in front of the stand, though it is backlit, so it's difficult to see that it is me. Also, it was raining that day (for the first time in over 140-something days), so I'm wearing my raincoat.

I stopped at the Paradise Bakery in that mall and got some cookies too. We don't have that stand locally either.


That same day, we also went to another "high-end" shopping center, shopped for more skin creams (at L'Occitane) and bras (at Victoria's Secret), where a salesgirl talked me into "updating" my VS card, and ended up running my credit card again. Stupid cow. (but I didn't find this out until I was back.)

We had a nice girls afternoon of seeing a movie whilst the baby had daddy-time. Ryan is a very cute, very sweet-natured baby who warmed up to me quickly. Jen & Berin are doing a great job raising him, and I wish I could be around him more often, instead of being the weird "auntie" who mails gifts from time to time.

On Saturday, we had dinner at In-N-Out Burger, a meal that made me quite happy while I was eating it. Yummy!

I used my camera phone to take pictures, which I have posted here. I actually barely used my real (film) camera, and I don't think I have ANY pictures of me holding the baby, or of me with Jen.

I, of course, realized this when I was flying back. Some other time, I suppose. I do have more photos to post, but they aren't posting up here, so I may have to make another post with photos.
There was noother drama that occured in my life during the same time period... but I'm not sure if i'll even post about that at all. I do thank Berin for the verbal kick-in-the-ass about investing and smart finances. Jen and Berin were great hosts (as always) and Ryan is a real joy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Frank Murphy said...

Nice burger!

Monday, March 27, 2006 9:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay jess jess! good job conquering the TM150! the photos are way better than any steve took. hehe.
i was craving cheese on a stick just yesterday so pooh to you, they pulled the one out of our slowly dying malls about a year ago now, and no one will drive to clackamas town center with me.. hrmm dunno why people wont drive 8+hours for food.. bet steve would do it for a sizzler. Anywho, YAY!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:19:00 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

mmm, lemonade......
glad to see you posting again

Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

oh oh oh did you buy a big gallon of the lemonade to take home with you? I guess not...it probably would have been weird on the plane anyway...

Friday, March 31, 2006 5:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to the hot dog on a stick with lemonade. I usually add a cheese on a stick to the mix ... because I reaaaally like cheese. It's the pits when you can't get the foods you really enjoy ... you can actually go into withdrawal.

Monday, April 03, 2006 2:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home